June 10, 2014

Finding Out

On the Sunday before Memorial Day, Shane and I left for a vacation with my parents, Rachael, Taylor, and Izaak to Disneyland, California Adventures, and Universal Studios. We had SO much fun even though our feet have never hurt so bad. We probably haven't been quite that tired in a long time too. I had packed a pregnancy test to take on the trip because I thought Shane and I were going to stay in our own hotel, but we ended up just blowing up an air mattress on the floor of my parents condo and saving about $600 (TOTALLY WORTH IT).

Over the past year of trying to get pregnant, I have gotten many negative pregnancy tests. Naturally, I was sure that this one would be negative as well. I just didn't take it (plus I didn't want to take it with all of my family there and now I'm REALLY glad I didn't take it because I would have been worried about going on all of the rides and would have had to explain to my family why so there wouldn't be any secret or surprise later on). My family talked us into going with them Sunday morning and caravanning all the way to California instead of us leaving Monday morning. I was really glad we did that because then Izaak rode with us and we all decided to go to Disneyland on Monday too instead of just Tuesday and Wednesday. We went to Huntington Beach on Sunday as soon as we got finished checking into the condo.

It was so nice spending that stress-free, quality time with my family again. I realized how much I miss vacationing them, but enjoyed every minute. Shane admitted too that "it's a lot more fun vacationing with your family." haha He HATED our honeymoon in San Diego, so he was dreading going back to California again. Luckily my family changed his mind.

On Thursday when we were done with Universal Studios, Shane and I just decided to head straight home because it was only about a 7 hour drive and my family was staying in a "studio" condo that night in San Diego. Lucky for us, they BARELY all fit in that condo so there is no way Shane and I would have fit. We probably would have had to buy a hotel room anyway and then we wouldn't have been very happy. So it was perfect that we headed home, even though the LA traffic was insane (basically stopped for a long way).

On Friday, I woke up and before I got in the shower I checked my period tracker app to see when I was supposed to start. When I saw that I was two days late, I honestly didn't think anything of it and even when I took the first test, I really just expected a negative.

It IMMEDIATELY showed both lines BOLD.

I had to grab the instructions and double check that two lines actually meant I was pregnant!

All of my negative tests seemed to take forever to show the results and this was seriously immediate. I wish I had saved enough pee to take a second test right then because I was just sure that it was lying (because I only paid like 86 cents for that test so I just assumed it was a faulty test). I had to get in the shower after that though and try not to think about it because I was freaking out inside.

When I got out, I still knew I couldn't make myself pee and I didn't want to drink anything because then your pee is diluted and it can produce a false negative... so I started timidly making a card to tell Shane the beyond exciting news that I hadn't let myself believe yet. I was also searching google to see if it was actually possible to get a false positive test. Then I ran back into the bathroom and forced myself to pee enough to get the second test to work.

ANOTHER POSITIVE.

And this time from a $12 test so it HAD to be true!

I took the card to Shane while I was shaking like crazy. Suddenly I wondered if I was really ready, even though we had been trying for almost a year now and I had been praying for this every night since then. On the front of the card it had a sticker that said, "True Story" and on the inside on the top flap I taped the two positive tests and on the bottom flap I wrote,

"I guess we will be celebrating Father's Day this year... YOU'RE GOING TO BE A DADDY!!! XOXO"

I was extremely nervous to tell Shane because I had NO idea how he was going to react. When I got into the living room, he was sound a sleep on the couch. I couldn't wait any longer to tell him so I woke him up and said, "I have something for you." He was still a little loopy but he took it and started reading... "Wait... really?" Of course I started crying (it's just what I do and more so now that I'm expecting and have crazy hormones going on).

"Well what the heck does this mean now?? Dang it! I'm excited! I didn't want to get excited!" haha He went on like that for a few minutes and we just admitted to each other that we were REALLY excited but we were also both really nervous of the unknown and the money.

I then called the doctor and set my first appoinment. She said, "Well it looks like you are 4 weeks and two days and we'll see you at 8 weeks, so it'll be the week of June 23rd." I'M ALREADY 4 WEEKS?? The news just kept getting better

No comments:

Post a Comment